Saturday, August 18, 2012

Catholic Warriors

On a hot, dry, California summer day a few weeks ago, I found a few little wooden pegs. I absolutely love miniature things, so I immediately set about trying to decide what I would tranform these into. I soon discovered, to my shock and joy, a whole yard and a half of white jersey fabric. Not only that, it was coupled with a smaller portion of black fabric. Now, I of course knew that I was destined, then and there, to help these simple, wooden pegs find their calling. Thus the birth of Catholic Warriors came about.



Yes, Catholic Warriors are little wooden Nun Dolls.

We have dolls of Captain America, Iron Man, Batman, Barbies, Twilight characters, and almost any kind of TV character, but does any one ever give their kids little dolls of our true heros? The people who daily uphold the world in prayer? The people who pray for those who do not pray themselves? The people who corageously throw themselves into the battle that is the spiritual life? Not usually. My dream is that parents will realize the importance of fostering religious vocations and holy bravery at an early age, and perhaps replace the Polly Pocket their child is holding with a little Nun doll.



Novice (White Veil) and Professed Sister (Black Veil)


The dolls pictured here are wearing the habit of the Norbertine Canonesses of The Bethlehem Priory of St. Joseph. After I made the first two (One a Norbertine and the other a Dominican) I sent the little Norbertine to my sister who is a Novice in that Order. In her last letter she requested more, so I happily brewed up 12 little Sisters.








If you are interested in perhaps buying some Catholic Warriorsto give to your loved ones, distribute at a vocation fair, or simply using them to promote religious life, please leave a comment. Please be assured that I can make them wearing different habits, as long as they are relatively simple. They are $4, no matter what Order requested.

Thank you very much!

Pax Christi,
A Catholic doll-maker








No comments:

Post a Comment